Sunday, March 18, 2018

An illuminating Experience at Safeway

Normally, I kind of enjoy my stops at Safeway. It's not far from my usual haunts (the library, credit union, post office), the sales are good, and they're generally pretty kind at customer service.

Until today.

I needed some meds for high blood pressure, plus ointment for a leg infection. I went to Safeway's pharmacy right after the doctor's appointment to get them filled.

'You don't have any health insurance,' the pharmacy tech announced. That was strange; the doctor's office knew we did. Maybe our insurance company screwed up and told them wrong.  (But why did they confirm to the doctor's office that we did, then?)

'It's going to be $236 to fill both those prescriptions.'

Well, that wasn't happening. 

We got the ointment filled at CVS' Target for ten bucks. (You read that right -- ten dollars.) I went without the other med, until the Brick could call the insurance company and get them to fix my record. (They eventually did. We think.)

In addition to our regular health insurance, the Brick got us on this wonderful program called GOOD RX. It costs nothing to enroll, and can save you an incredible amount of money. Type in your medication and what's needed, and it compares pharmacy prices in your area. (Kind of a Gas Buddy approach, but for medications, instead.) If you haven't looked into this, you should. The only problem: you can't use it in combination with your insurance -- sometimes it's cheaper to go that route. Anyways, it showed that filling the prescription at Safeway would save over other places in town.




Back to the Safeway pharmacy. (We needed milk, anyways.)

'Your blood pressure medicine is $414,' the bland pharmacy voice announced. What?! Wasn't it going to be less than that for both prescriptions, a week ago? When I mentioned it, the pharmacist brushed me off: 'Prices for things change.'

I was polite through all this. Really.


'But I have this Good RX coupon that says the pills should cost $14.14,' I persisted.  (Yes, folks, that's how much money you can save, using this program.) 

'Oh,' said the pharmacist. She sounded almost disappointed.

I finally got the prescription, paid for groceries, packed up the car -- and realized I'd left my library book in the cart. Back to the store to get it -- but it was nowhere to be found. While I was at customer service, I realized I'd never gotten the $25 gift card Safeway was promising with 'new or transferred prescriptions.' Sure, I'd only paid $14.14...but it was a new prescription. Didn't it qualify?

Back to the pharmacy. The pharmacist gave me a slightly dirty look: it's YOU again.  I asked her why they hadn't offered a giftcard. She responded, 'We've been giving these out all day.' (So why didn't you mention it while I was standing here?)

     She said, 'You weren't eligible because you're on a public program: Medicare, Medicaid...See?  Here's a mark on your account that says so.' (Not that she'd checked, before. Or mentioned this.)

Gee, a week ago, you were saying I didn't have insurance at all. Now you've got me on public assistance??

Of course, she didn't believe me. Nope, I had to stand there another 15 min. or so while she called and verified that I wasn't, then slooowwwwly got out the giftcards. No apology that I might have been right. And certainly no suggestion that they did anything wrong. Or might have charged me a good deal more for the same medicine.

Eventually, I got the $25 giftcard. By that point, it was personal -- God didn't make us Hollanders stubborn for nothing.

(Oh, and I found my library book still tucked in the cart, which was racked up with the others at the entrance door. Whew. Library books are expensive.)

MORAL OF THE STORY:

Don't always believe what you're told the first time around. If it doesn't seem quite right -- it probably isn't. Persist -- politely -- until you know for sure.

And don't think that pharmacy prices are the same, whever you go. They aren't.


     I will always wonder how many uninsured, poor, elderly or just plain desperate people heard that first amount -- and paid it. People who believed the pharmacists because, after all, they were professionals. People who thought they had no other choice.

     If I hadn't been treated with such indifference and/or arrogance in the first place, 
                or just so frustrated by that point...
                               I might have, too.






Postscript:  'Why are you so late?' said the Brick, after I got home. When I related my sad tale, he said, 'Gee, they always treat me well.' Maybe because he's male-- and cute?? Who knows...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

He's male but definitely not cute

Cindy Brick said...

HA! Then you don't know him...

but thanks for writing, anyways.

Frugal Hits & Misses: March Report

 This has been a tighter month than most -- due in great part to some unexpected truck expenses. Last month's property tax payment sucke...