Tuesday, October 24, 2017

Scammed - Five Becomes Fifty!

     Of course, she was very nice.

The teenager who stood on my doorstep was cute and enthusiastic. She was in a competition to provide care packs for 'Wounded Warriors,' and she needed juuuuust $50 more to win.

     We get more than our share of sleazy salespeople in our neighborhood. The highway runs a few blocks away, down the hill; it's easy to drop off someone and let them canvas the area. But this girl didn't look like the usual -- she was younger (19-21), with long brown hair and friendly brown eyes. Her grandparents, "Fred and Shirley," lived "down the street." Could I help?

     I had some twinges of doubt. She wouldn't say Wounded Warrior Project. I knew what that was -- an organization that's done a world of good for veterans since 9/11.

Wounded Warrior Project logo.svg


     An older couple lived at the bottom of the street -- and they had grandchildren this girl's age. Surely she was one of theirs...right?
     Our money's been tight this month, thanks to bathroom work, computer and phone problems, and car repairs. I could only offer $5. She wanted $50, but finally said, 'every bit helps.'

      I wrote her a check.  (No cash around. Thank God I asked for a receipt, as well.) Told the Brick about her visit...and promptly forgot about it.

Until yesterday.

     The check cleared. Only -- the $5 had magically changed to $50!

My 'friendly' girl had added a few zeroes, and scribbled over the written number. I could hardly believe it. Guess I was lucky -- she could have socked me for $500, or even $5000.

     The clerks at the credit union agreed that the check was doctored. They'll dispute it. They suggested I file a police report -- which I did. Spent pretty much all day traipsing around, filing reports and talking to people about it. The receipt gave the girl's agent number, and the company's name: Priority Choice Marketing in Dillon, Colorado.

(By the way, a forged or altered check, even as little as a dollar, is a felony. The cops were clear about that.)

Will Priority Choice Marketing show that they're a quality company, and refund my money? (They do sell a lot of magazines to people...and yes, they do have a project to support the troops.)

What about 'Gib,' the pretty teenager? Has she done this to someone else? (I wouldn't doubt it.) Did she think I wouldn't notice... a Hollander who values every dollar?

Will they shut the little dear down?

Stay tuned.

UPDATE:  They did! See the interesting conclusion to this whole mess. (I hope.)



1 comment:

Cindy Brick said...

As of today (2/15/18), STILL:

*No check from the marketer
*No news from the police, either here or in Summit County

and, of course, not a lick of recognition or apology from the girlie who scammed me in the first place.

It's been this way since November of last year. Go figure.

Lessons Learned From A Gunslinger: The Redux

      I wrote this post for another website years ago...but it's worth visiting again. And yes, Paladin and we are still buddies.      W...